RISE & BUILD
WEEK 1: January 27, 2019
SCRIPTURE: Nehemiah 2:18, 20; Psalm 127:1
18 And I told them of the hand of my God that had been upon me for good, and also of the words that the king had spoken to me. And they said, “Let us rise up and build.” So they strengthened their hands for the good work.
20 Then I replied to them, “The God of heaven will make us prosper, and we his servants will arise and build, but you have no portion or right or claim[a] in Jerusalem.”
– NEHEMIAH 2:18,20
Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
– PSALM 127:1
- No one can rise and build who does not first kneel and pray.
- We are where we are in this moment because we are a living church that takes our calling seriously. It’s called ‘the cost of LIVING’ for a reason!
- What we do now answers the question “Twenty years from now, what will the next Pastor hear from people when he says, ‘I’m the new Pastor at C3’”
- The promise of God resonated in the people of God. Building Jerusalem after the exile was something they leaned into because God put it in their hearts, not because they had to be told to do it.
- When Nehemiah heard about the situation in Jerusalem, he prayed. When you pray, don’t be surprised if you become part of the answer to the prayer. That’s what happened for Nehemiah!
- Goals: Build and Renovate. How? Raise all we can from all who can join in. We pray for 100% engagement. If one person wrote a check for the whole amount, we’d still do this series: a) because we need this instruction; and b) because like those Redwoods in the Muir Forest, we stand together, our roots supporting each other.
- You can trust God…down to the sacks of groceries on the doorstep. ‘God will make a way where there is no way’ is our life, not just a lyric!